Maximizing Recovery for Damages
The losses a personal injury victim suffers are known as "damages." If a jury decides a defendant is liable, or responsible, the court orders the defendant to pay damages to the victim.
Personal injury damages fall into two main categories:
- Economic damages: These are monetary losses you have suffered or may suffer in the future due to the injury. Your current losses are easy to calculate: these are your medical bills, lost wages, and other costs associated with the injury. Meanwhile, future losses include the cost of medical care you’ll need in the coming years as well as income losses that could result if you had to reduce the amount of work you do or work at a lower wage because you can’t do the same kind of work. Serious injuries could leave you completely disabled or eventually force you to take an early retirement. Future losses often require testimony from qualified experts in medicine and finance.
- Non-economic damages: This category is often called “pain and suffering,” because compensation for physical pain and mental suffering is such a big part of this calculation. Non-economic damages also include loss of consortium, loss of quality of life, and loss of enjoyment of life. Determining how much to seek for your non-economic losses or what might be a fair settlement requires specific knowledge that lawyers acquire over time by working injury cases. That’s why injured parties who attempt to settle with insurance companies on their own generally receive much less than they would if they let an attorney negotiate for them.
As your attorney, it is our duty is to work conscientiously to maximize the amount you recover. We take this duty very seriously and work tirelessly to deliver the most favorable results possible.
Experienced Legal Advocacy
When pursuing results in a personal injury case, there is no substitute for experience.
Over nearly 40 years of practice, we have successfully managed injury cases arising from:
- Auto, motorcycle, and truck accidents: We manage litigation for all types of motor vehicle accidents, including head-on collisions, intersection crashes, and vehicle rollovers, caused by driver error, poor road design and maintenance, and equipment failures
- Defective medical device claims: Artificial hips and knees, pacemakers, and surgical meshes are just some of the defective medical devices that have caused patients significant harm
- Drug liability: If you have sustained an injury or illness due to a dangerous drug, a drug interaction, or a negligently prescribed medication, we can help you recover compensation
- Premises liability: If you suffer a slip and fall accident on public or private property, we can assess your case and fight to hold the negligent property owner accountable
- Defective products: Faulty consumer products injure tens of thousands of people every year; we can help you prove the product that injured you was defective so you can recover the compensation you deserve
When injuries are fatal, we provide representation for grieving families in wrongful death cases so that loved ones can be compensated. Family members may be able to recover damages that include medical expenses and funeral costs of the victim, loss of companionship and loss of future earnings from the deceased person, and emotional distress and mental anguish suffered by survivors.
Serving Clients in McComb & throughout Mississippi
Turn to our team at Thomas W. Brock, PC for top-quality legal services that you can depend on.
Contact us today to begin your legal journey. We are conveniently located in central Mississippi but can travel to your home or hospital room if necessary.